Please enable JavaScript to view this site.

Heroes Of Our Time

Base Information



Bylaugh Hall


1 x Grass




6 miles NE of Dereham

OS Ref


Current Usage

Country house - as of June 2016 the current owners of Bylaugh Hall are at present converting the 74-bedroom, 73-bathroom mansion into a training centre for household staff, including butlers, bodyguards, chauffeurs and chalet girls.


Bylaugh Hall is mainly a ruin (which is being restored), but during World War 2 it was the headquarters of 2 (Bomber) Group from July 1943 until January 1944 and then 100 (Bomber Support) Group from January 1944 to December 1945 when the group ceased to exist.

Prior to this it was requisitioned as a base for the 18th Division between 1940 and 1941, and was used as crew accommodation for aircrew from Swanton Morley.

The hall was a large Victorian mansion in quite large grounds.

A small grass airfield was established about 1/2 mile from the hall and some light aircraft were kept there for the use of senior staff officers. These aircraft were mainly used for communications duties when visits to the 100 Groups other airfields was required. The aircraft came under the control of 100 Group Communications Flight at Swanton Morley.




More coming soon....


Full article coming soon






Click to open

Click to open


© BenBudworth, via Wikimedia Commons


Bylaugh Hall, built 1852. Norfolk, England. Designed by Charles Barry son of Downton (Highclere Castle) Architect Charles Barry



Click to open

Click to open


© Public Domain, via Wikimedia Commons


Bylaugh Hall, Norfolk, 1946



Click to open

Click to open


© Evelyn Simak -


The Officers Mess - This building on the 100 Group RAF camp comprises two large interconnected Nissen huts arranged in an L-shape



Click to open

Click to open


© Evelyn Simak -


WW2 Military Building - Communal building on one of the campsites associated with RAF 100 Group



Click to open

Click to open


© Evelyn Simak -


Airmen's accommodation huts - The airmen on the RAF 100 Group camp were housed in Asbestos huts. Asbestos huts look similar to Nissen huts but have a flatter curve and use foundation walls. Unlike Nissen huts they needed no frame and were self supporting; their roofs were made of corrugated asbestos, not corrugated iron sheeting. Asbestos huts were first introduced in 1942 and manufactured by Turners Asbestos Co Ltd of Trafford Park, Manchester.


Click to open

Click to open


© Darren Rose


Memorial Plaque at Bylaugh Hall



Squadron Information


100 Group Communications Flight




Dec 1944 - July 1945


Miles Magister

Auster Mk III

Avro Tutor

Tiger Moth


These old aircraft, all except the Auster having been built in the 1930's were used by senior officers for pleasure flights as well as communication.  Few senior officers ever had the opportunity to fly operational aircraft so it would have been a joy for them to get airborne occasionally, event if in slow ancient machines!